Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the audition process like?
- A professional ballerina from Moscow Ballet will visit Columbia, MO to hold auditions at the School of MCB, assisted by School of MCB staff. Dancers are auditioned in groups according to their age and height. The audition takes approximately one hour. Casting will be assigned immediately following the audition. One parent representative per child must be available immediately following the audition for a parent meeting. At this time you will be given the rehearsal schedule for October 15-17th and further information about rehearsals and the performance.
- Will every dancer receive a part?
- Casting for the Nutcracker is at the discretion of the Moscow Ballet rehearsal director. While it is our experience that most dancers do receive a role, it is important to prepare students for the possibility that they may not be cast. Remind students that an audition is a learning opportunity and that they will come away a better dancer even if they do not receive a role this year.
- When will rehearsals be held October 15-17?
- Rehearsals will be held after school October 15-17 (between 4:30-8:30p). Dancers must have full availability during these times as ALL choreography will be staged. If a dancer is not present, they will be removed from the performance.
- When will rehearsals be held after October 17?
- Rehearsals will be held every Saturday (October 20 & 27 & November 3, 10, 17, 24) until the performance between 12-5p. Exact times will be dependent on dancer’s casting. Due to the very short amount of rehearsal time available, dancers must be present at EVERY rehearsal.
- When is the performance?
- The performance will be Wednesday, November 28th at 7p @ Jesse Hall. Dress rehearsal and costume fittings will be held during the day and students will need to leave school early to arrive at the theatre between 12-1p. It is highly recommended to buy tickets for the performance early as they have sold out in the past.
If you have any further questions, please contact us at school@
missouricontemporaryballet.org or 573-825-0095.
We look forward to seeing you at auditions on October 15th!